Jenni Lightowlers is a founding Partner of Francis Abourizk Lightowlers (FAL). Prior to establishing FAL in 1993, Jenni worked for the Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Organisation (CSIRO) and Allens Linklaters (as it is now known).
She is arguably Australia’s leading authority on establishing research entities such as industry growth and innovation centres, Cooperative Research Centres (CRCs). She is also recognised as a leading lawyer in the life sciences (health, bio-security, bio-technology and medical devices), commercial and intellectual property sectors.
Acting as a long term and trusted Counsel to her clients, Jenni frequently provides support and advice to a wide range of companies, not-for-profits and charities. With extensive commercial experience, Jenni advises ASX listed entities on mergers and acquisitions, strategic planning and advisory services for intricate transactions. Over the last two decades, Jenni has advised on some of the most complex Australian technology and R&D projects, including the CSIRO ARIES satellite project.
Jenni was appointed Acting Head of Deakin Law School in May 2017. She is considered one of Australia’s leading advisors to universities (both in Australia and the South Pacific), and has a deep understanding of the university and higher education sectors, particularly their compliance and operational issues. In addition, Jenni is a Deputy Chancellor of Deakin University.
Her expertise also extends to Government, having drafted, evaluated and structured legislation for Australian governments, prepared Ministerial briefing and policy papers, and provided advice on multi-lateral treaties in the Pacific Region.
Areas of Expertise
- ACCC, ACNC and ASIC Legislation and Regulations
- Commercial Contracts & Agreements
- Commercialisation & Licensing
- Competition & Consumer Law
- Corporate Structuring / Transition Plans
- Corporate Governance, Board Advisory & Compliance
- Cyber Law & Data Protection
- Employment & Workplace Relations
- Government (State & Federal)
- Grants / Capital Fund Raising
- Indigenous & Aboriginal Heritage & Traditional Knowledge
- Information Technology & Communication
- Intellectual Property, Copyright, Confidential Information, Patent, Design & Technology Commercialisation
- Intellectual Property Litigation & Dispute Resolution
- Media and Publishing
- Mediation and Dispute Resolution
- Pharmaceutical Regulation
- Space / Satellite Law
- Dean of Law, Deakin University, Victoria
- Chairperson, Director and Company Secretary to a number of entities
- Member, Australian Institute of Company Directors
- Member, Licensing Executives Society of Australian and New Zealand (LESANZ)
- Member, Intellectual Property Society of Australia Inc.
- Member, Intellectual Property Committee of the Law Institute of Victoria.
- Barrister and solicitor of the High Court of New Zealand
Awards and Recognition
- Recognised for Excellence in Client Service for the Health & Life Sciences Sector in Australia – 2015 International Law Office (ILO) and Lexology Client Choice Awards
- IAM Licensing 250: World’s leading patent & technology licensing lawyers