Charities & Not For Profits
Charities and not-for-profits in Australia are held accountable to the Australian Charities and Not-for-profit Commission (ACNC) and must adhere to their guidelines to maintain current registration. Proper legal structures are key to maximising profits and minimising costs.
FAL Lawyers boasts extensive experience in this area, with a high success rate in assisting individuals and organisations in establishing charities for registration with the ACNC. Our expertise extends to obtaining tax concession status and deductible gift recipient (DGR) status.
Our dedicated team is well-placed to advise clients on a broad spectrum of charity and not-for-profit matters, including:
- • Structures: Tailoring the appropriate legal structures for charities and not-for-profits.
• Charitable Trusts and Ancillary Funds: Establishing and managing these crucial elements.
• Charity Registration with the ACNC: Navigating the complexities of ACNC registration.
• Policies and Governance: Ensuring proper governance and policy compliance.
• Compliance: Staying on the right side of regulatory requirements.
• Deductible Gift Recipient Status (‘DGR’): Securing DGR status for eligible organisations.
• Income Tax Exemptions: Managing tax implications effectively.
• Employment: Addressing employment-related concerns.
• Distribution of Funds Overseas: Facilitating fund distribution to overseas causes.
• Fundraising Licensing: Obtaining licences for fundraising activities.
We work with charities and not-for-profits of all sizes, from startups to some of the largest organisations in Australia.
We collaborate closely with each client, delivering solution-oriented advice tailored to their unique identity and needs. Our track record includes establishing an Australian charitable fundraising arm for a major international charity, setting up a significant online crowdfunding foundation, and restructuring a prominent gym group as a not-for-profit company. We also provide expert advice to peak bodies and leading Australian education providers regarding their not-for-profit status.
Our firm has successfully advised and acted on tax-deductible funds, including establishing such funds for Australia's leading online crowdfunding company and structuring an Australian-based tax-deductible fundraising framework for a leading international university. Additionally, we've assisted a well-established health retreat in structuring a tax-deductible social enterprise framework.
In addition, we offer guidance on fundraising licenses, public benevolent institutions with the capacity to send funds overseas, property purchases by religious groups through charitable structures, and responding to compliance notices issued by the ACNC.
Cost- Effective Assistance
- We understand the financial concerns of our clients, which is why we offer cost-effective assistance and fixed fee services.To discuss the legal aspects of your charity or not-for-profit organization, schedule a free consultation by reaching out to us today.